Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Life in Transit

I will now attempt to write what should have been 1 million separate posts in one.  Wish me luck!

The past three months have proven a theory to me- you get what you give.  The hardest work reaps the greatest return.

The past three months proved to be some of the most challenging and equally rewarding, and I am full to the brim with happy, giddy excitement and a renewed faith in how wonderful this life is and how much there is left to be discovered and explored.

I am a travel-y person in so many senses of the word and the month of November proved to be the most travel-y of travel-y times in my life.  To live on a bus.  To find a sense of home and family in constant motion.  To wake up to a new environment and challenge each day, and yet still feel balanced and peaceful within the chaos... that was November for me.

I loved nearly every minute of being on tour.  I loved seeing new things and meeting new people every day.  I loved falling to sleep in my tiny little cubby, with 8 people within arms reach while the rumble of the bus driving through the night rocked us all into sedation.  I loved waking up and stumbling into sleepy-eyed friends while we waited on showers and fought for the last cup of coffee.  I loved feeling so close to so many people, while we were all so far from any form of home or familiarity.

Mostly, I loved surprising myself, and being surprised by the people that I thought I knew so well.  People change.  They grow.  How often do we actually allow it, though? I saw new strengths and weaknesses of myself on that trip, and saw my friends in new ways that made me smile and love the idea of change in a whole new way.

I was on a journey, and I loved being in transit.  I'm a person who has typically been impatient to get where I'm going; to arrive at the goal, accomplishment, destination with little tolerance for the time it takes to get there.  This time though, I came to love the adventure and the process.  I actually found peace in the process and acceptance of the fact that I had to adapt and learn daily, that I was not perfect, but the journey was teaching me to be better.

I learned that change is good.  It is one of the hardest things to go through, but it has the greatest pay off.

I learned that hard work is great, and the more you dig in the more you end up with in the end.

I don't think you could have told me even six months ago that in my lifetime I would direct and manage a national concert tour.  I don't think you could have told me that I would learn things like how to run a soundcheck, and how many mixes should be in the bands monitors, and how many monitors we need for that matter.  I don't think you could have told me that I'd be interacting with burly concert venue owners who wore gold chains and chain smoked and who came across intimidating and angry, but were actually usually very sweet and kind.  I certainly know I never expected to have found so much love from you, the readers, the fans.  A kind of support that is jaw-dropping and inspiring... and I thank you.

My New Year's Resolution this past year was to let life surprise me.  It certainly has.  I try to be a thankful person regularly, but I am abounding in gratitude for the wonderful adventure that I had this Fall, and the larger adventure that I am on each and every day.

The travels of finding a Home are really about finding yourself at home in your own skin.  From there, you are free to be anywhere.

The today-me is different and new from one year ago-me or 5 years ago-me, or even 3 months ago me.  I'm looking forward to meeting 1 year from now-me.  And I hope you all are looking forward to meeting future-you as well.

Change is good, friends.  Find peace within your life of transit.

7 comments:

  1. Julia, as a 16 year old girl from a small town in New York who has rarely left her general area, your words are so inspiring. I can't wait for the time when I can travel and explore the rest of my life. I can't even put into words how this post, this one post, changed my outlook on change itself. You always seem like such a silly gal on youtube, but you really know how to write from the heart and speak the truth in a way perceptible to a 16 year old who fears change. I have always been scared of the things that are familiar and comfortable leaving, but this post, your words, they just completely changed my outlook on everything. I don't think I'll ever be able to tell you or the other starkids how much you mean to me, how much you inspire me to take risks and explore my strengths and work on my weaknesses. You have such a profound insightful outlook on things, and it makes me think. I can't wait for highschool to be over (Only a Junior though) and to go out and do these things, and find everything out first hand. I have you to thank for this, shall we say, new found excitement for everything. I was always the nerd, (Still am) but you and ALL of team starkid inspire me everyday to push the boundaries, don't let others get me down, because no matter what, I can always look to you guys. You are such an inspiration as an actress, director, writer and all things that you do. I can't tell you how much that means to me. Thank you, for this, for everything. Sorry if this is overly cheesy or anything, but you really have impacted me in a profound way. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Chicago SPACE, and meant to say hi and tell you what your blog meant to me, but I didn't get a chance, you were such a busy bee! Know I loved the tour, it was wonderful, and know I love your blog just as much :)
    Thank you for your words which never fail to make me reflect on my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia. I just wanted to thank you so much. These posts make my day and help me so much. I am fighting skin cancer, and your blog and book help me keep fighting every single day. I just want you to know how incredible you are. Thank you for my life. Love, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time stumbling across your blog, Julia, and I must say, this post is very thought provoking and convinced me rather easily to buy your book.

    It is amazing how much an adventure can change someone, and tour does seem like a mighty good adventure to have with good friends. I'm glad you've now found the joy in the adventure itself, rather than just the destination. Every day is a journey, be it a few more steps on a journey long since started, or one entirely new that shoves you out of your comfort zone, each day truly is a journey.

    Anyways, thank you for making me think tonight. All I've been doing the past couple weeks has been memorizing information for finals, so a little true introspective thought was a lovely change of pace.

    Love, Ally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia, you are the biggest inspiration. I'm struggling with how to get where I want to be in life and you give me hope. It's crazy because I actually want to be doing exactly what you are doing. Writing, directing, acting, traveling.. all while being surrounded by amazing people and being supported by so many. It's really encouraging. I hope to be just as successful as you one day. .I just wish I knew where to start.
    So thank you, for lifting my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia,
    I'm so happy all of you have come so far and accomplished so much. You should be very, very proud of yourself and your friends. I don't have any anecdote or anything for you, I just want to say that I'm very happy to be a part of Starkid's ever-growing fan base.
    Keep doing you and being yourself because you're totally awesome :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete