Monday, February 6, 2012

Underdogs Always Win



Though this may seem to be off the topic of "Finding Home" I think it is exactly on target, because sometimes it is feeling the most out of place that forces you to zero in on your true self.

I cannot wait to raise my sons and daughters to be underdogs.  Now, I dont in any way wish upon them the insecurities, teasing, bullying and other mean bullshit that comes with that, the nonsense that I myself remember all too clearly from Junior High and High School, but to be honest- underdogs win in the end.

I wish every slightly nerdy, bullied, lonely kid in young adult education could be told and realize that they are probably being set up to be the luckiest of them all.  Because when you are an underdog you fight.  you get tough, you focus your energy on things more important than what you are wearing and who you are gossiping about... you focus on making things.  You focus on what you are passionate about and what you want to become.  You focus on making the world better for the poor underdog kid who is going to come behind you.

And when you make things, when you change things... you change the world.   You become amongst the most popular and influential of people and you win because you did it by being true to yourself.

Here's to the underdogs... throughout history they've almost always won and I like to think they always will.

Here's to the future leaders; they are laughed at now but they will be the last to laugh ;)

8 comments:

  1. This is so true. Being an underdog has given me thick skin and a fighting spirit. Of course it'd be easier to look at my future with your amazing optimism if I knew what ton fight for, what my calling in life is...but I hope to discover that eventually. Until then I'll keep pushing through this thing called everyday-life of a college student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya on that one. Sometimes it's really hard to fight when you have no clue what you're fighting for in life. But I'm assuming all that will clear up eventually! For now it's good enough to keep your chin up and keep forging a path onward.

      Here's to the lost, everyday college students :)

      Delete
  2. It does get better. Because when you grow up you find people like you, and you are not alone on your fantasy world anymore. And they also invite you to their own fantasy worlds and tell you that they love you just the way you are. And then you realise that may be the reason you dind't fit with the self-called normal people wasn't that there was something wrong with you.

    That people, in that moment, they were home for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home is when you find "your own little group of weirdos," as Meredith Stepien said in preface to the song Coolest Girl. The knowledge that not absolutely everyone in the world can and has been a lifesaver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I loved that speech.
      Wish we could find them earlier in life. Nobody should feel alone like that. I think the "new generations" are a little bit luckier because they have Internet, so they can find kindred souls and know they are not alone. It's still hard to go to school, but knowing that somewhere are people that understand you helps a lot.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of the underdog becoming the one who is really important and can change things. Nevertheless I think it's important to (try to) teach children at school, there is no need for this kind of system.
    I know it's impossible or utopian not to have some kind of hierarchy in society and so at school, too. But bullying shouldn't be a normal part of growing up like it is for most of us nowaydays. People should know that and teacher should teach that. That's why I'm trying to become one (or that's one of the reasons).
    I know that's not what you're trying to say, Julia, but I think that should be added here because it's important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the funny thing is, when you get past those awkward middle/high school years and realize you were once that underdog, you find that being the underdog made you who you are, special, unique. That feeling is the most inspiring thing I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very powerful message, but it's also important to know that just because you aren't bullied in high school doesn't mean you won't come out successful. I wouldn't say that I am part on the "in" crowd, but I'm generally liked and I have hardly ever been bullied (my school has a very strict anti bullying policy). I think it's important to teach kids that it's okay to be a nerd and okay to be popular, but your high school social status should and does not define who you are or who you aspire to be.

    ReplyDelete