Saturday, March 5, 2011

"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"

When I was 20 years old I walked into a tattoo parlor and had a north star branded onto my left wrist, on a whim.  I can now recall it as an act of rebellion, but also an act of searching.  I was searching for an identity to call my own, I was searching for a thrill, and I was searching for a feeling.

That little star has now become a manifesto of sorts, a question that has continually highlighted my life; where is home?

Over the years that question altered slightly- What is home?

Under the auspices of that question, I present to you "The Home Project".  A chronicle of my ongoing search for the deeper meanings of "home", and the journey I am taking to get there.

So tell me, what does 'home' mean for you?

"There is nothing half so pleasant as coming home again"
-Margaret Elizabeth Sangster




2 comments:

  1. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

    Rom. 5:15-17

    They say "home is where the heart is" maybe a more thought provoking question; where is your heart?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This very question comes up a lot for someone like me who's away at college. Where is home? Is it in this new city with this whole new group of friends? Or is it where I came from with my parents and my whole other group of friends whom I grew up with. I have come to the realization that it's wherever/whenever I'm with the ones I love. For me, life would mean nothing without my friends and family. If I lived anywhere, even if it was for several years, without any contact with any of my friends and no way to make new friends or create a new life, that place would not be home to me. Home is the string of memories and feelings attached to a setting. It's not just a "place to hang your hat." For example, my family would always stay at my grandmother's appartment whenever we visited Turkey. The appartment building was old, the bathroom barely worked, and the rooms were tiny, but it was our home in Turkey. After she passed away, being in that appartment didn't have that same feeling of home anymore. It was her presence that made it home for me. It was all my memories of her cooking and making tea that made me feel at home there. So, for me, home is being with those you love; which means someone can have multiple homes.

    ReplyDelete